The holiday season is the most wonderful time of the year, yet it can feel like the most stressful time of the year. Whether you are looking for ideas to inspire your holiday creativity, or a place to escape from the hustle and bustle, Somers Library is here to help. Here are a few ways you can use our library to enjoy the holiday season.
1. Read a book. Reading is not only fun and relaxing, but gives you some great conversation starters, and creates traditions and memories. Try reading a classic holiday book, check out our bibliographies in the library, or as a librarian for ideas. Need ideas for what to read next? Check out our Pinterest boards where you will find nearly 250 boards of books listed by genre. Check out our new 2016 Staff Picks just added recently, or find some great reads to share with children on our Christmas, Hanukkah, and Kwanzaa board.
2. Get a gift. What better gift can you give to someone than a good book. If you are looking for great book bargains to give as gifts, or perhaps to even to put on your own wish list, check out our Book Sale area. For the month of December, everything is half price!!
3. Make a craft. How about trying a craft to keep your hands busy while you unwind during the long, cold winter months? Why not explore your creative side or learn a new skill by checking out some of our numerous crafting books. Also, on December 5th and 19th at 10:30 am, we are offering a great program...'Quick Holiday Needlework Gifts Workshop'. Registration is required, so be sure to register online at www.somerslibrary.org or call the library at 914-232-5717 to register. There is no fee for these workshops, but participants must bring their own supplies. Check out what you need to bring here. Also, the library offers a variety of maker kits such as knitting kits, crochet kits, cookie cutter kits, and cake pans, so try one out today!
4. Make a treat. A wonderful way to embrace the holiday season is to make and share delicious meals and treats with your friends, family, and neighbors. The library's holiday cookbooks are a wonderful resource for finding new holiday recipes and ideas.
5. Watch a movie. Our DVD collection is quite popular throughout the year, but especially around the holiday season. Why not start a holiday move-watching tradition! You may also place holds on DVDs by clicking here.
6. Learn more. During the holiday season, take the time to learn how other cultures celebrate the holidays. Not only will this give meaning to your own holiday traditions, but will offer some great conversation starters as you share stories and facts about the holidays. It is a wonderful way to increase your understanding and appreciation for how other cultures celebrate the holidays.
7. Listen to music. Music is a wonderful way to get into the holiday spirit! Whether you are in the mood for holiday music, instrumental music, folk music, or classic soundtracks, you can find all kinds of music to check out in our music CD collection. You may also wish to check out some great songbooks or sheet music of Christmas carols to play during the holiday season.
8. Stay in touch. For those of you that are traveling this holiday season, why not make your journey more enjoyable by checking out some books on CD to listen to while on the road. You can also keep up with all of the holiday programs and concerts, by visiting the library's website at www.somerslibrary.org, or follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter.