Tuesday, August 29, 2017
You can now borrow coloring books from the library! Color pages with
crayons, colored pencils or gel
pens (you supply.) Sign you work (optional.) Leave the pages you
worked on in the book. When the book is full, it will be displayed in
the library and used as an example during our adult coloring book
Posted by Somers Library at 11:42 AM
Monday, August 7, 2017
Did you know that August is National Read a Romance Month? “First observed in 2013, this month long celebration urges reader to pick a novel to read from the romance genre. Romance novels represent the highest human aspirations; they feature men and women fighting for their best possible lives, against difficult odds and with the universal demand that they change – for the better. This month is a time when romance authors and readers can come together and start conversations." ~ Chases Calendar of Events
New Romances to Check Out
Lost and Found Sisters by Jill Shalvis
Worth the Wait by Lori Foster
Fly Away With Me by Susan Fox
No Getting Over a Cowboy by Delores Fossen
Beautiful Tempest by Johanna Lindsey
Down Home Cowboy by Maisey Yates
Cold Creek Season by RaeAnne Thayne
Pleasure of Passion by Sabrina Jeffries
A Duke with Benefits by Manda Collins
A Touch of Frost by Jo Goodman
The Beach at Painter’s Cove by Shelley Noble
Six Impossible Things by Elizabeth Boyle
Beyond Reason by Kat Martin
Wedded Bliss by Celeste Bradley
Never Trust a Pirate by Valerie Bowman
A Perfect Gentleman by Candace Camp
The Bad Luck Bride by Janna MacGregor
From Duke Till Dawn by Eva Leigh
Posted by Somers Library at 4:27 PM
Friday, July 28, 2017
Believe it or not, many Somers Library patrons find puzzles very therapeutic especially when life becomes stressful. How do we know this? The puzzle is a popular area in the library with quite a few ‘regulars’ who come a few times during the week to work on this visual conundrum. It could be a quiet pleasant solitary experience, or a way for patrons to work together to accomplish a goal. Isn’t it wonderful that our puzzle table fills such a need in many lives?
This is a perfect example of how libraries have changed from being merely book repositories and book lenders. Libraries today, as in the Somers Library, are warm and welcoming places where people interact collaborate and pursue their interests. This small and seemingly insignificant puzzle area is what we cherish and encourage at the Somers Library and hope there are other such encounters happening at our library all the time.
Posted by Somers Library at 10:38 AM
Wednesday, July 12, 2017
Attention travelers! How many of you know that next month (August) is American Adventures Month? Founded by adventure-seeker Peter Kulkkula, American Adventures Month celebrates traveling throughout the Americas and truly exploring the land. It's a perfect theme for outdoor enthusiasts! For help planning your next adventure check out these great resources.
- Good Sam 2017 North American RV Travel Guide and Campground Directory
- Road Trip USA
- Family Resorts of North America
- Lonely Planet Guides
- Explorer's Guides
- Fodor's Travel Guides
- Frommer's Travel Guides
- DK Eyewitness Guides
- Insider's Guides
- Moon Guides
- Rick Steve's Guides
Find additional titles on this topic, and many others by visiting our Pinterest boards, or place a hold on any of these books by clicking here.
Posted by Somers Library at 3:57 PM
Monday, June 19, 2017
Information can be provided to you on:
Vision and Dental Services
Benefits – SNAP (food stamp); HEAP; EPIC; STAR; SEC 8….
And many other programs, benefits and services that can help save you money and help in planning for the future. Sponsored by Westchester County Deptartment of Senior Programs & Services.
Posted by Somers Library at 3:00 PM
Wednesday, June 14, 2017
Raffle Prizes: Amazon Gift Cards gift cards ($75, $50 & $25), $25 Chili's Gift Card, $25 Aunt B's Gift Card &, Gift Cards from Route 100 Market & many more prizes! Plus...$10 iTunes Gift Cards to the top 3 readers with the most pages read!
How To Get Raffle Tickets
- For every 100 pages read - 1 raffle ticket will be submitted in your name.
- For every 1 review submitted - 1 raffle ticket will be submitted in your name.
- For every teen event you attend during the summer - 1 raffle ticket will be submitted in your name. Important: you must sign the attendance sheet when at the program.
- Register Early - 1 raffle ticket will be submitted for the first 25 participants to sign up for the Teen Summer Reading Program! Important: Registration starts June 18, 2017! Bonus: 1 raffle ticket will be submitted in your name for every visit to the library (6/19-8/30). Please see Tara Ferretti (or the librarian at the Reference Desk) for the form to sign!!! (NOTE:You can earn up to a maximum of 5 raffle tickets by visiting the library).
- Teen Dream Board Thursday, June 29th from 4:00—5:30 pm Vision boards are powerful visualization tools that can help you attract the people & things into your life—that YOU want! Vision boards are collections of affirmations, inspirational words; pictures, quotations, etc. Using the art of collage, create a vision board to define your goals! This event is for teens /tweens entering 6th grade and up!
- Teens & Adults Earring Making Saturday, July 8th at noon. Can’t make it at 12pm? Join us anytime up until 2:00pm. Join us at the Somers Library to make your own beaded earrings and make additional pairs to donate. For every pair of earrings you make for yourself, you will also make the same amount to be donated to a local women's shelter. This program is free and is intended for teens, 5th grade and up, as well as their parents.
- Henna Workshop Thursday, July 13th from 3:15 pm—5:00 pm - For centuries mehndi, the art of henna painting on the body has been practiced in India, Africa, and the Middle East, where the henna plant is believed to bring love, good fortune, and protection. The henna we will be using is all natural, made from finely sifted henna, lemon juice and essential oils. With proper care a henna stain can last between 2-3 weeks. This program is intended for teeens/tweens entering grades 6 and up. IMPORTANT: All Participants must have a signed permission slip from their parent or guardian. Margie Nugent is an accomplished body artist and owner of Making Faces Parties in Mount Kisco, NY.
- Teens: Decorate Your Flip-Flops! Thursday, July 20th from 4-5:30 pm. Join us at the Somers Library to decorate a pair of flip flops. Please bring a pair of new flip flops! (You can buy a pair for $1 at Walmart, Old Navy or the dollar store!) We will provide all decorative materials. You will also receive a small bag as well to take home your new flip flops. Plus, you can pick out a free teen book to take home. This program is for teens/tweens entering grades 6 & up.
- Create Your Own Coloring Book Thursday July 27th from 4:00-5:30 pm. Chill out, relax and join the trend! Create and design your very own handmade Color Me Book with Art teacher Wendy Podell. By melding collage & scrapbooking techniques, participants will use their imagination to create a collection of images that are unique and meaningful to the individual participants. This program is intended for teens & tweens entering grade 6 and up.
- Create a T-Shirt Pillow Keepsake Thursday, August 3rd from 4-5:30 pm. Did you outgrow your favorite t-shirt and would you like to save it as a special memento? Then join us at the Somers Library to turn it into a keepsake pillow! Please bring you’re a favorite (clean) tee-shirt that you would like to turn into a keepsake decorative pillow and we will provide all other materials. This program is for teens/tweens entering grades 5 & up.
- Teen Coloring Club: Join us at the Somers Library to for some low key art therapy...Relax, color, and socialize. Blank coloring pages and Prismacolor Pencils are provided, or you may bring your own. Tuesdays, 7/11, 7/18, 7/25, 8/1, 8/8, 8/15. No registration necessary!
- Anime Club: Join us for a chance to watch anime from Crunchyroll with your friends! Every Wednesday 6/28 - 8/16 from 3-4:15.
- Pokemon Club: Teen/Tween Pokemon Club @ the Somers Library - Join us at the Somers Library to meet, discuss and battle your friends using your Nintendo 3DS (or even using your cards)! This program is for teens/tweens in grades 5th and up. The library will supply snacks and an opportunity to meet friends interested in Pokemon! Meetings dates: 6/30, 7/14, 7/28, & 8/11.
- Anime Nights! - Join us for a chance to watch anime from Crunchyroll with your friends! 7/7 & 8/4 from 4:30-6:60 pm
Posted by Somers Library at 11:57 AM